View Single Post
Old 11-03-2008, 02:27 AM   #5
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by daesdaemar View Post
Yes, I knew it is possible to do this, but would be a herculean effort for a book of any length.

Hopefully, the programmers out there will solve this problem soon.
OK, first - all these thoughts are conjectural. I have not actually tried to do this, and don't own or have a license to the tools needed to make this work, but....

There are software test tools that run on top of the application under test, which provide a repeatable test of the application's UI. The one I worked with a number of years ago was named Winrunner, don't know if they're still around. The idea is you build a model of the application within Winrunner, and then construct a script to do a set of tasks. After the step, you check the actual results against your model to find bugs or differences, then move on to the next step.

Using such an test on top of Adobe Reader ( or Digital Editions, or whatever actually displays the DRM'd pdf,) you could instruct Reader to display each page in turn, have Winrunner take a screenshot of the window, and save it to a file. Then you're at the step of running an OCR. If you are a good scripter, it *should* be easy to modify the script to load a number of books in sequence, by pointing at an external data file with ebook filenames to load and locations/filenames to save.

But I'm not going to do this work because I refuse to buy the blankety-blank pdf in the first place. And it would be a lot of work unless you were going to use it on a lot of pdf books.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote