Thread: MobileRead February 2013 Book Club Vote
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #13
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
OK - having a look Love Story definitely appears to be a romance. And given comments like "...this is the book that defined a generation..." I think it's probably a really good choice.

Some others there look like monster books which I might have voted for if they were more closely aligned with my current reading plans. I just can't devote that much time to Binchy or Gabaldon. Even Chadwick is pushing it - although the content looks quite a bit more interesting to me so I could possibly make an exception. I'm noting that author down as a TBR for historical fiction.

Strangely enough, although I had a strong aversion to Shards of Honour initially because I thought it was an excuse to nominate Science Fiction, I'm reconsidering after reading a few descriptions of the book. It seems the romance is very central to the storyline and quite a few write-ups refer to it as a sci-fi romance. Given that I'm curious about Bujold anyway, I think that will get a vote from me.

So I think I've ended up with a nice list:
Portrait of Jenny, Lolita, Shards of Honour, Water for Elephants, A Town Like Alice, and Love Story.

I think I'd be quite happy to find room in my reading schedule for any of those. In fact, thanks to these nominations I'm adding a couple of these to my TBR anyway.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote