View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 02:13 PM   #5
matthew tenney
Enthusiast
matthew tenney is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!matthew tenney is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!matthew tenney is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!matthew tenney is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!matthew tenney is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!matthew tenney is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!matthew tenney is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!matthew tenney is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!matthew tenney is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!matthew tenney is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!matthew tenney is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle
This book received another review recently. See below:

I have found this to be an inspiring book on multiple levels. First, the author's back story and how he came to write this book is one of triumph, of using one's time confined in a cell in such a resourceful way that empowered him like he may not have been otherwise, which in turn helped him empower other prisoners, and ultimately now anyone he comes in contact with, including myself. He says something in the book to the extent of experiencing the most profound satisfaction and freedom he'd ever had while IN A PRISON. Wow.

Second, the book is exactly what the title suggests. A practical guide, and it aims to keep things simple. At the same time, there is plenty of solid information, scientific facts, an explanation of the essence of how our minds work, how we're conditioned to seek this and avoid that, the necessity of acceptance, a subtle and profound distinction between pleasant events and true happiness, and so much more.

As with any book, the real value, the change, the learning, comes from DOING whatever is in the book (not just reading ABOUT it). The author makes this very EASY by providing plenty of exercises, including how to begin a daily practice. In addition, he graciously offers to answer any questions the reader might have :-)

The book provides much hope, pointing out how even if it doesn't SEEM so in the moment, true happiness is MUCH closer than we may have realized! It utilizes science, timeless wisdom, stories, metaphors, and outlines how one can turn this practice of mindfulness into a moment by moment experience.

Finally, I have had the privilege of meeting the author, and he really lives what is written. I met him briefly before I knew about his story or that he had a book. He seemed at peace, and very interested in getting to know me, a stranger. Then maybe 2 months later I heard about the book, read it, and knew that I had met a genuine person, who was an embodiment of what he had written about. Recently he guided me through a 20 minute mindfulness session that was more relaxing than the thousands of hours of meditation I have had over the last several years. Very profound for me. Thank you.

Enjoy!

Andrew H
matthew tenney is offline   Reply With Quote