Thread: New Leaf Themes Redux
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2019, 02:24 PM   #3
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Here's my take on what themes should be:
  • Open enough to allow most any genre to be nominated
  • Constrained enough to make us think about our nominations
  • Defined enough that we get a complementary set of nominations
Obviously, the amount of definition/constraints will vary from month to month but that's how I try to think of them.

Here are a couple that I've been thinking about.

First, one I mentioned last year. We generally need a good, light-hearted (or at least light-weight) option near the Holidays. So I was thinking of "Tasty Morsels, short and/or sweet". That should cover short stories, food related books, "feel good" (sweet) books, etc. And the title reminds me of the holidays in general.

Along similar lines was "A Box of Chocolates, custom collections". The idea was "short story collections." It could be a single author, an anthology with different authors around a theme, or potentially even a collection that the NOMINATOR puts together. (I've considered putting together a nomination of 3-5 short stories from online sources and public domain works in the past.) But, as Forrest says "You never know what you're gonna get."

A different one was "First Things First, debut books", with the intention of getting the first book by an author. Although, the first book in a series would certainly be appropriate as well.

Also, I still think we need to find a time to use "Crunchy and Goes well with Ketchup".
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote