View Single Post
Old 09-05-2007, 12:22 PM   #8
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
That's the excerpt about the Sony (the rest is about the history of ebooks/devices and their notable lack of success)

"My own little test, using the Sony Reader to reread "Pride and Prejudice" suggests it doesn't.

For the first few minutes, I was too aware of the new technology, and had trouble concentrating on the story. But that didn't last long, and I soon settled in, laughing and worrying in all the right places. At the end, I was just as happy for Elizabeth Bennet as I had been when I first read it in paperback.

It is a truth universally unacknowledged that reading a book for pleasure involves a lot of hard work. You have to fight to keep it open and pressed flat, and just when you've comfortably arranged everything, you have to turn the page and start all over again. Naturally, you need to do all this without bothering the cat.

You may not appreciate these difficulties only because you've never had an alternative to a book for comparison. The Sony Reader is slim, light and can be held in one hand. To go to the next page, you just nudge it with your thumb.

Yes, there are things not to like about reading for pleasure on a computer screen, even for generic, text-only paperbacks. You have to forgo the stories that books themselves can tell with all their stains and scribbles. And when you're done reading, you don't get to put another trophy on your bookshelf.

In exchange, though, you get to put an entire bookshelf in your pocket."
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote