View Single Post
Old 06-24-2018, 08:00 AM   #5
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
Oh Dear. Another pedantic Puff Piece.
Ok. Skivvies are NOT panties, they refer to MEN's underwear. You use since when you mean "as". (Since has to do with time.) I could go on, (and on) but my pedantic focus is not as demanding as yours. I'm glad that you are not an author as I would find you most irritating.
I dunno, I'd say your pedantic focus is doing okay

Even the OED acknowledges the use of "since" as a conjunction with senses not related to time: "Because that; seeing that; inasmuch as". As you indicate, it would be annoying to see overuse in a narrative, but there seems nothing technically wrong with the OP's use of "since".

"skivvies" is interesting - I remember, as a kid, wearing a skivvy on my torso: a lightweight pullover, almost like a long-sleeved polo-necked singlet. It's a word with several meanings, and I'd probably avoid it in a narrative for that reason. But the gender was not clear in the OP; it's possible the "me" in "clothes for me" is talking about a man or a woman. It's also not unheard of for women to wear men's underwear - and for a BDSM situation I'm not about to make assumptions.

As for "panties". Someone recently said to me that panties is what men call women's underpants, women call them knickers. But I think it's one of those words that is both regional and era sensitive.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote