View Single Post
Old 11-23-2009, 04:19 PM   #6
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
How good is Smashwords' ePub and MOBI formatting? Do they have a TOC, and will the Kindle TOC include waypoints?

Is there any way on the Smashwords site for a reader to find out that an ebook is in the Premium Catalog?

You can get a pretty good idea of formatting by checking out samples. I know the formatting is improving (the first two books I put up, I had to make several changes--the last one, I made one change to get things looking the way I wanted.) The problem, of course, is that some authors/publishers spend more time trying to make it look good--and it can be hard to do. I still don't like the way my books appear on the Adobe reader--the "legal" parts look smushed. But if I fix it for that reader, it gets messed up for some of the other readers. So the reader itself--the way it chooses to display and interpret the file--actually affects the way it looks. I can look at an epub file in three different readers--and that file looks different in each one.

As an author, Smashwords support has been VERY good, and VERY responsive. What I like most is that they are working their tails off to partner, get the word out, and generally run a good business.

As a reader, I'd like a few tweaks (like a forum, a longer book description, and I'd like reviews that don't happen to have a star rating to show up as a review on the book pages. Right now if there is a review, but no star rating, it shows on the main page as no reviews available.)

As a reader, I really like that some small publishers are putting their stuff out there--and I love the sample feature, of course. I also like the 'prude filter." Yeah, I admit it. I use it. I've found and enjoyed a few books by Indie publishers as well.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote