Thread: KOBO Rocks!!!
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 02:27 AM   #184
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
I don't think you can: you do have to login with your Kobo account. Having said this, once you have set up your Kobo as far as I can see you don't need to ever connect it to the kobo website ever again:
Sigh ...
I very strongly dislike being forced to do things.
I do not mind registering at their site, I would just prefer that they try to persuade me instead of holding my device hostage.
I have visited USA last year. I was looking at Kobo Mini. My beloved PocketBook 360 has developed a problem and I suspect it is just about to fail. I saw Kobo Mini and I liked the form factor. I just LOVE how my Mighty Mouse (Pocket book 360 for the uninitiated) fits into my pocket. But I didn't buy the Mini, because I was unable to test it in Best Buy. All the device did was scream at me that it needs to be connected to the Internet and registered before it lets me to have a look at how it renders text and what option it has for displaying books.
Quote:
just switch the wifi off and sideloads all your books via calibre (or drag and drop).
If the device has to be registered, then I keep the WiFi off, so it doesn't send [non-annonymized] info about the device use to the manufacurer.
Quote:
Are you also falling victim of the Aura tempting calls?
I do indeed hear the sirens calling.
But there are some things that will help me resist the call:
- I have waaay too many e-ink devices at the moment. And I keep returning to my trusty Mighty mouse with its failing display driver.
- I am waiting for the PocketBook Touch Lux. I have insider info that it should be out "Real Soon Now" ;-). And I have a reservation for a reviewers unit. Sadly, it will not be some advanced exclusive preview unit, but one of first ones available to customers. And unless PocketBook did something really catastrophic, like dropping those cool features that previous models have, I am going to start selling my surplus e-ink readers to buy PBT Lux.

I do hope that Kobo Aura HD is wildly successful. I hope that other manufacturers will see that success and will start considering much higher resolutions where we can have real typography. I hope that other manufacturers will realize that people want to configure and tweak every single aspect of book displaying engine. It seems that Kobo Aura has several interesting options regarding text display.
There are some things that Kobo could have done better. I haven't found any info about fonts that users could install on the device, for example.

Last edited by kacir; 04-25-2013 at 02:31 AM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote