View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Or hardware developers could actually support Unicode, instead of doing the whole "we ignore standards" thing that's so popular these days.
The system was in place before Smashwords. So what Smashwords needs to allow is to allow ePub upload so authors can make sure their eBooks work.

When an author comes here asking for help when a Smashwords conversion fails, it's not easy to say what's wrong and/or what to do. Sure, it may be easy to fix the ePub, but the fix needs to be in the Word document. That isn't easy.

I've heard from a lot of authors who would like nothing better then to be able to put up ePub that's been cleaned and works well.

I've seen some of the issues that can happen in the code. The code might look good if you don't want to change anything, but if you do, you might not be able to.

I've also seen some ePub that were all italics and some that were all underlined. Obviously these passed the checks and balances after being ground up. So the system isn't perfect by a long shot. In fact, the system is so very much broken.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote