View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #95
Skibble
Runs With Scissors
Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I went with the Verso Prologue Antique cover in brown for my T1. I hadn't originally been planning to buy it, but I saw someone else's Verso cover and it was much nicer in person than I had expected from online photos.

The inside is a black suede-like material. The flat pocket set in the front flap is ideal for the occasional scraps of paper I want to tuck in with my reader. The corner elastic holds the reader in place with a strong grip, and I like the firm backing set under the reader's position. You can't see this backing in the photos on Amazon, but it's like a smooth plastic protective pad, for lack of a better term. The reader grips onto it really well and doesn't slide around in the elastic.

Since it's a universal cover, there is about a quarter-inch of "space" on all sides of the reader when it is set in place, but I find this sizing to be perfect. There is less of a chance that the edges of the reader will get dinged up when out and about, since it's set back into the cover just enough. This set-back also allows room for the stylus to be set inside the cover. There's no stylus holder, but the default T1 stylus has a perfectly sized hook to attach securely to the back of the cover and hang down inside the spine next to the reader. There's little to no risk it will get dislodged in that position.

The cover itself isn't real leather, I don't think, but you can't easily tell by looking at it. It is very firm at the moment, but I expect the "leather" will break in a bit as time goes on. Even now, though, the spine is still flexible enough to be bent back all the way for one-handed reading. You can slide your hand into the pocket to hold it when the cover is bent back that way. It's not an entirely natural holding position, but it has come in handy a few times when I was moving about and was fearful of dropping my reader.

The only thing I didn't like about the cover was the gold foil stamping on the front and spine. I've never liked gold foil on leather covers -- it looks cheesy to me. But I rubbed the cover down with acetone to remove the gold and lighten up the brown color of the cover overall. It now has a lovely honey-tone antiqued look with none of the gold bling. After the holidays I will get a little shoe polish, I think, and re-darken it just a tad, but it certainly looks nice as it is.

I'm very pleased with it. I had a Cover-Up black leather case for my PRS-350 and was happy enough with it, but I like this Verso cover much more!
Skibble is offline   Reply With Quote