View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 12:28 PM   #14
greencat
Freebie finder
greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony, Kindle
That's interesting, ASparrow. Perhaps it also has something to do with competition too. I suspect there are a lot more authors on here than previously and the novelty factor has worn off?

If you're writing outside of a particular niche (or pigeon hole!) I suspect it's always going to be harder if people can't compare you with something or someone else?* Or perhaps you try finding places where fans of a similar genre hang out and try and persuade them to try something a little different.

*This can be taken to ridiculous extremes though. I recently saw an author described as "The female James Patterson" and I've no idea what kind of picture that is supposed to conjure in the prospective buyers mind. But possibly (and I have no idea if this is appropriate) describing yourself as Gabriel García Márquez with an contemporary twist might help paint a picture. I'm reminded of even well established authors doing the same eg The New Confessions by William Boyd - used Rousseau's book as the inspiration for the main protagonist to record their tale.

Last edited by greencat; 11-15-2010 at 12:30 PM.
greencat is offline   Reply With Quote