View Single Post
Old 10-25-2017, 07:18 PM   #4
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I am about a quarter of the way through now. I see the crassness you're speaking of, fantasyfan, though I'm reserving judgment until I see how I feel about it together with the whole. I am moderately enjoying it so far, so it could go either way for me.

My first thought with the vulgarity was Joyce's Ulysses with its explicitness. I don't like to automatically compare an Irish writer to Joyce but that very frank (and sometimes crass and sexual) thought process of the protagonist combined with that this also features Dublin and has quasi-flashbacks to near-contemporary times to when Ulysses was published makes it hard for me not to. Otherwise though, I of course find this very different from Joyce so far.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote