View Single Post
Old 02-24-2018, 09:36 AM   #7
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwitch View Post
Lol: I asked for that!! I know I can change the information in each book but with probably about 1000 to change before I can see what duplicates I've got etc I just wondered if there is an easy way to do this and if so how!!
I can't say for sure that the method I've used over the last several years to catalog my few thousand books is the "easiest", but I'll describe it.

1) For all my pBooks I used Book Collector. It has a really nice ability to scan the ISBN of the book and then get all the metadata from their own database. The database is user updated - which is good and bad - sometimes the data is incorrect. I just disabled the auto-sync after the initial upload so it wouldn't replace the corrections I made to my personal library.

2) Several years ago I made the decision to never buy pBooks again (and even mostly stick to it - except for school books) because I ran out of wall space in my house! Now every time I get a new eBook it is the simplest thing to add it to Calibre. (Free download here). To add a new book, simply drag and drop the eBook file into the main window. You can add batches of books with the built-in "Add books" as well as drag-n-drop. Calibre can also download metadata from many different sites online. It also has a widely supported plug-in community that does some great stuff like finding duplicates, fixing metadata, and so on. However, you WILL have to do some work yourself... the automated functions are only as good as the information you give it.

3) IMO Book Collector doesn't support eBooks nearly as well as Calibre supports pBooks, so I imported my Book Collector database into Calibre and use Calibre exclusively. However, I did this several years ago, and Book Collector might have updated their support for eBooks since then...??

I would definitely check out the Calibre forum as BR mentioned!

Good Luck!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote