View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #23
Thalinor
@Modders/Devs - Thank You
Thalinor is on a distinguished road

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro / Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
That website is general information about charging ANY kobo ereader. The glo (which after all is the subject of this thread) for instance is NOT 500mAh, but rather 800mAh. Even the touch I think is 700mAh instead of 500. and Aura might be different again. 500mAh only applies to the older models, but they either don't update that website, or they want a one answer fits all, even if not particularly useful for people who want a charger that is the same as their device.

Sort of like your advice that using more than 500mAh is gonna blow up their battery.....
Good to know on the Glo being 800 mAh. The point of my post was to try and prevent people from plugging in chargers that are way overrated in both watts and amps. If you retread the post I wrote it says that its possible for LI batteries to explode if treated wrong. I don't expect the ereader to blow up if someone used a 1 amp charger but as devices get more advanced, I am sure we will see wall chargers with USB connections reaching 2+ amps as a common occurrence very soon. The more amps the charger outputs the faster the device will charge but again, devices and batteries that are not intended for higher amp charging (fastcharge, etc) could be damaged by using the wrong charger. While technology has advanced, they don't build things like they used to, at least when it comes to quality and longevity. Again, a generalization, but why risk a $130 device when 95% of the people reading this probably have an older USB charger laying around that is under 1 amp, which can be used instead of something like a 2.1 amp apple USB charger?

Do what you want, it's your device and your money. I have seen people post that most devices today are smart enough only to draw the correct amps from a charger that is overrated, and its watts that you need to worry about, but I have also seen plenty of posts with people who now have electronics that don't work because they used the wrong USB charger and fried a device.

@DaveFor Fenix did not include reverse polarity protection in some of their high end lights when first released. They have battery magazines and must of assumed most people wouldn't screw it up. I agree on a $150+ flashlight it should be standard, and I guess others did too because now it seems like all their lights have this protection. It wasn't me who blew up the light, I know how to put in batteries correctly, but I will never forget the incident and its was enough to scare me into having a little more respect for LI batteries. Again, do what you want with your devices, but IMO with everything now-a-days being made as cheaply as possible, mass produced by slave driven kids for pennies a day, I'll stick to what's supposed to be used for charging the unit.

Edited my original post to include 800 mAh instead of 500 in concern to the Glo. Again, thank you for pointing out the mis information.

Last edited by Thalinor; 05-07-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Thalinor is offline   Reply With Quote