View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 04:22 AM   #1
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
MobileRead as a marketing tool

I saw this blog post Ebooks aren’t marketing novelties anymore from Steven Lyle Jordan, and thought it was curious. Here are a few sentences from the post:
Quote:
Last week marked my official bid of farewell to my membership at MobileRead.com [...]
the novelty has largely worn off. Ebooks have become just another product; and I have become just another author [...]
As a result, the things that originally drew me to MobileRead are no longer relevant to my needs as an author. As my sympathetic market has decreased there, I’ve come to realize that I need to concentrate on the more general market elsewhere. [...]
(I haven't seen anything "official" on the forums here, but maybe I've been looking in the wrong places).

I hadn't really thought of MobileRead in terms of marketing (probably because I still haven't started that side of things). "Writer's Corner" is really the only place I've hung out for the last however many months (only so many hours in the day left to spend on forums), but then "Writer's Corner" is probably not the most ideal spot to get recognised by readers. All of which leads me to ask others thoughts on the subject...

Has MobileRead been a useful marketing tool for writers in the past? Do you think its usefulness as a marketing tool has changed?

P.S. If you see this Steven: So long and the best of luck.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote