View Single Post
Old 02-14-2016, 03:30 AM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
There's a version of the "simplest method" where the download is still available, but it was specifically noted as having been updated for 3.2.1, so I'm mildly wary of trying it. And unless I read some stuff really incorrectly, which is quite possible, it was originally for the K2 US model which had IIRC Sprint as a carrier so the 3G was internationally incompatible, unlike the 3G International version which used AT&T, and the hack existed so that people living internationally could use the incompatible US model which couldn't even phone home?

Mind you, the newer zip file does appear to contain separate versions for K3 and DX, and perhaps one of them might be sufficiently close enough that it won't break things if it fails. I don't suppose anyone has enough info about potential differences between/how much stuff got changed between K2i and DX and/or K3 to be able to advise if it's a good idea to try or not?

Thanks for the pointer to launchpad+myts. No one seems to have mentioned trying it with a K2 in what appears to be the main thread; it's all K3 and DX? But maybe I'll find some old threads or someone's blog where they actually do, and give it a try.

TBH, I'm probably just going to give up, spend the summer learning to do Linux From Scratch again (apparently you can run it in a VirtualBox on the Mac; I'd been wondering about that), and then just go the usbnetwork method once I feel sufficiently confident that I'm not likely to mess things up just by copy-pasting to the wrong place, even though there looks to be something of small tolerance for a margin of error in that regard, at least according to some other posters who seem to have done it.

In the meanwhile, at least I've still got my Sony to actually keep more than a dozen files I want to read upon at a time. And as a result of this incident, I did wind up discovering that the extra foreign language dictionaries you get with a Kindle for Mac install can indeed be transferred to a K2, so it hasn't been an entirely bad week, Amazon-wise.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote