View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
Thanks for replying.

But let me reiterate---I am very familiar with the capabilities of the formats, and the programmer aspects of what is done to present the book.

I am interested in WHY a person PREFERS one format over another, end-user-wise. I guess this stems from the fact that I am not a picky person when it comes to these kind of detail, and I am curious as to WHY other people like one format over another. It doesn't matter to me whether the paragraphs are indented or an extra line between. It doesn't matter what font is used, though I do prefer san serif. What is it about the presentation of the different formats that causes people to prefer one over the other.

Or am I totally off base here?

Just curious.....

AJ

Your off Base

We have at least 2 types of users here.
Vanilla: They read the book the way it comes from the source.

Banana Split: Those who massage, add toppings to a document to present a pleasant experience on THEIR device.

My guess Vanilla prefers documents that were originally formatted for the smaller screen (like LIT, MOBI).

TXT has little embellishments, even if it does "flow" properly. DOC and RTF have embellishments to the text (Font weight, stroke).
PDF, typically was full sheet forced to re-flow

EPUB and fb2(?) were intended for book readers and offer lots more control . The question is, was the original designed for the small screen or a conversion? Is this the thinking behind "X" is better?

Lastly, there is the quirks of the e-reader device to overcome.
I have an EPUB book (Baen) that uses ". . ."
Every time that happens, a new line happens after the next word.
This makes for some odd pages on the PEz (renders normally on a few other EPUB viewers)

I also prefer portability. Brand independent formats.

Just my 2 cents
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote