View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 03:42 PM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Hitch,

My Kindle Fire HD definitely uses the NCX file for its "Go to" menu on KF8 books; whether purchased or built by me. I know because: 1) all nested ToCs collapse and expand like they should. 2) my NCX ToCS are rarely identical to my html tocs. 3) I can go to the html toc from the ncx toc—you know... that thing that drives wolfie mad?!

I was told that the Paperwhite and the Touch all were capable of using the NCX file (if it's present) for KF8 books as well. I just wasn't sure if the Kindle Keyboard did.

Are you certain you're just not seeing an ncx toc that's identical to your html toc?

Well!

LOL. It's entirely possible. I'm going to have to make one that's different to check.

(Hitch loads a recent book)

OK: On the Fire, (regular) no, I'm not seeing the ncx, when I use the "go to" feature. On the FireHD, I certainly do.

What's interesting to me is that when I view the NCX on the FireHD, the ncx is altered. On one of the books we made and finished up last week, there's a "Frontmatter" entry that we did not create, under which is nested the frontmatter (Title page, copyright page, map [for this particular book, obviously], and the HTML.toc [calm yourself, Wolfie]). The Introduction then moves back out in the hierarchy, followed by the Epigraph and Book One.

So: Kindlegen makes some decisions about the NCX, that are not the decisions that the bookmakers have made for the book. Holy S**T.

Diap, I'm glad you told me, but I'm less-than-ecstatic about this. I admit, we tend to load a book on the FireHD for checking only when said book has images, fleurons, or other graphical issues we need to check (because of the massive resolution differences, and thus the image problems); we use the regular Fire for regular book-checking. I never noticed the Go To worked differently. I'm debating now just how unhappy I am that Amazon's software is altering the ncx.

Thanks, gang.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote