View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #179
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Have a look at this, from the Surface forums.
http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/m...stination.html

As far as reading books is concerned, do you actually like reading books on the Surface's screen? That is not something I imagine I would do, given the dimension and the resolution.
I'm fine with the dimensions.
Actually, Kindle DX always has been one of my favorites.
I can live with 6", even 5", especially when traveling.
But I like > 8" a lot.
And I prefer 16:9 (or 16:10) over 4:3.

I don't have any problems at all with the resolution:
a.) I've been reading eBooks since 2000. Back then on Pocket PCs and Palm Pilots. What resolution did they have? 640 x 480 or less, I'm sure.
b.) I'm typing on my MacBook Air now. The resolution is about the same and I'm sitting fairly close to the display. I can't see any pixelation or any other annoyances at all. Same for Surface RT.
c.) I have to admit: I seem to be very relaxed about the whole resolution issue. When getting my iPad 3, I didn't see anything special. I only saw the improvement in direct comparison to my iPad 2. Without that comparison, I have been fine with my iPad 2 and even iPad 1.
d.) Maybe it really is the ClearType optimisation. But I really find the fonts very pleasing and just don't see any disturbances.

But: I don't think, I'd use Surface RT as a reader for more than maybe 90 minutes. Similar to iPad: After some time it simply is too heavy and the longer lever shows.
For prolonged reading sessions, for now my favorite is Kindle Fire HD.
I should have my Nook HD from the US in ca. 10 days, then we'll see...

Anyway: No complaints about Surface RT as a reader (some hickups in some apps aside). But that's true more or less for all my tablets.

And: When I like a book, I entirely "dive into it". I won't focus on fonts or background colors or size of the bezel or color of the bezel or.....
I simply get lost in the book.
And if I don't like the book, I won't focus on the tablet either. I'll move onto the next book, usually I'm reading about 5 to 8 book in parallel.

Last edited by mgmueller; 11-14-2012 at 07:29 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote