View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 01:20 AM   #10
geenp
Enthusiast
geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubElement View Post
Publisher set pricing keeps prices whatever the publisher wants. A particular book is only published by ONE publisher, so there is no competition from others selling that book, so they can charge whatever they want, and if someone wants that book, they don't have a choice, because it'll be the same across all stores.
I understand that which is why I'm wondering how Amazon is charging more for books that they explicitly stated to have prices set by the publisher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In countries where Amazon don't have an agreement with a local telecoms operator they used to charge a US$2 surcharge per book to pay for the cost of 3G downloads. Is that perhaps still the case for Australia? Might account for it. I've certainly not noticed Amazon being more expensive than other stores; quite the opposite - they're very often cheaper.
Not sure what agreements Amazon has in place here but why are they charging a surcharge for 3G services that I don't use? I don't use a 3G Kindle, why should I be charged for that service. Anyway, the additional cost is usually not more than $1, as I said it's about 5-10% so I don't think it is this surcharge? I did notice a while back that Amazon is very often cheaper which is what prompted me to have another look in the first place only to find that this is no longer true in my case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astmario View Post
Note that Kobo store have one price listed on site and another(higher) when you log in and try to buy book. They explain it as software issue but to me it looks more like fishing for more customers.
Yea I read about that on The Digital Reader. That is unacceptable but I haven't actually experienced this problem with any book, and I have checked. Their prices are in line with the Sony store and Apple's iBooks which leads me to believe that they are following the publisher set pricing and Amazon is the odd one out.
geenp is offline   Reply With Quote