View Single Post
Old 11-22-2018, 12:23 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
I am thinking of running Windows 10 on my next PC after being away from Microsoft since Windows XP. Are book manipulation tools any good on Windows? My impression is that most hobbyist development nowadays is tilted towards open software, and thus platforms with a good POSIX command line and development tools.

What I mostly use right now is:

Sigil (in the past I have found this to be better on Linux and Mac than Windows)
kindlegen
kindleunpack
Kindle Comic Creator
DeDRM (and sometimes it's underlying components by command line like ineptepub)
koboify fonts
convert LIT
assorted PalmDOC tools and explode Plucker
vim

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Under Windows (currently Windows 10), I have used Sigil, kindleunpack as a calibre plugin, various DeDRM tools, koboify (though recent updates to FontForge seem to have broken it on all platforms). I used to use ConvertLIT but haven't had any need to since I was converting all my .lit files when Microsoft was shutting down their DRM servers.

I would add calibre to the list since it replaces many of the tools you mention and when I was playing with some of books from the old Baen CD inserts, it does a better job of converting directly to epub than when I used ConvertLIT and other tools way back when.

As for Sigil working better on Mac and/or Linux? I've had more issues with Sigil on either than I have had with Sigil on Windows. As usual, YMMV.

As for PalmDoc and Plucker? Not formats that I done much with since I last read Mother of Demons on a Palm and that was more years ago that I care to remember.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote