View Single Post
Old 10-22-2018, 07:33 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As has been seen, there is new firmware for the Kobo Forma. This is the expected first release for the device. I do not believe that this will be released for the other devices. But, I would expect a release in a month or so.

The release notes are (my comments are in bold):
  • Page-turn buttons:
    • While reading, press a page-turn button to go forward or back one page
    • If you want to swap the buttons, go to Settings > Reading settings > Button controls,
    • While reading, press and hold a page-turn button to flip through pages quickly
  • Read left-handed or right-handed:
    • Simply hold your Kobo Forma in either hand and the screen will flip automatically
  • Read in landscape or portrait (not available on other devices):
    • While reading, rotate your device to read in any orientation
    • To lock into portrait or landscape while reading, tap the middle of the page to bring up the menu, then tap the Auto-rotate icon
    • Even when locked, you will still be able to hold your Kobo Forma in either hand.
  • Hide book title or footer (for all book formats - no longer need the full screen option):
    • Keep your book title private, or just give yourself space for words on the screen
    • Go to Settings > Reading settings > Page appearance
  • Reading PDF documents:
    • While reading a PDF, double-tap to zoom in, then swipe to move between sections of the page
    • Double-tap to zoom out, or use a page-turn button to move to the next page
    • While reading a PDF in landscape, you’ll automatically see half of the page. Swipe up and down to navigate through the document
  • Reading Comics (.CBR, .CBZ):
    • Performance has improved when reading .CBR or .CBZ comics, especially when zooming in
    • You can now press and hold to flip through pages quickly in .CBR and .CBZ comics
  • More enhancements:
    • Fast page flip is now faster
    • Several Wi Fi issues have been addressed
    • Enabling and disabling Wi Fi is faster and more stable

With the title and footer hidden when reading, as far as I can tell, this does not suffer the issues that the previous full screen mode did. I don't use it all the time but I couldn't find an example of the cut off text that was reported before. When the title and header are not displayed, there is still some margin. It is a little larger than I would like, but it is not as big as the space taken when they are displayed.

Bugs fixed:
  • When returning from a search or viewing an annotations, the top bar is no longer displayed.

I'm sure there was something else not, but I can't think of what. If I remember, then I'll add it here.

Hopefully, it won't be to long before an update is made for the other devices. There are some good improvements here.

Support for the Kobo Forma and this firmware version has already been added to calibre. This was included in version 3.33.1.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote