Thread: Classic USA Today Reviews the Nook
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2009, 09:42 PM   #8
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I got my nook yesterday. I have a few books that I bought from B&N and I copied some of the epub books that I bought from Baen books on to the nook to see how things worked. As a point of reference, I have a Kindle 1 and a Sony PRS-505 in addition to the nook. I do most of my reading on the Sony.

I really can't tell much of a speed difference between the three units once the book is loaded and I'm turning from page to page. Starting the nook up from an off position rather than a screen saver position does take while, but then again, so does the Sony. Changing font sizes is much faster on the nook.

As far as I can tell, there just isn't a noticeable difference in the reading experience between the big 3 (Sony, Kindle and Nook). I think that the Sony is a bit more ergonomic than the nook, but the nook is more ergonomic than the kindle. I plan to take my nook with me to B&N this weekend to see what it's like in the store.

The big reason that my Sony will probably remain my main reading device is that it has a much better method of organizing my books. I like to have my entire library available to me (i.e. 1000+ e-books) and I like to organize the books that is in my to be read queue so I can access them easily (usually 20+).

My ideal would be to have my library on a memory chip and be able to copy books to the main memory of the e-reader as well as delete from the e-reader.

Last edited by pwalker8; 12-10-2009 at 09:47 PM.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote