Thread: KINDLE OASIS2
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2018, 05:54 AM   #38
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by flody1 View Post
Hi all. I'm a newbie, bought my wife a Amazon Kindle Oasis2 ( should get it soon). We joined Books Unlimited@ Amazon. She reads all the time, Nora Roberts fan/Christine Feehan / J D Robb/ETC. My question is do I need to jailbreak this device to get more free books? Thanks
There is free and open source software here called "calibre" that works superbly for library management. It allows you to organize your books and load them onto your Kindle. Check it out. If you find books through sources other than Amazon, it can also help convert them to an appropriate format. Really is a one stop shop. It isn't perfect but it is the best there is.

After you install and see how life changing it is, don't forget to make a donation according to your means and say a small prayer for the developer's health every time the software loads hahaha

Jailbreaking is a hassle. There is a forum here on MobileRead dedicated to the art of hacking Kindles, but I recommend just disabling automatic updates (incase Amazon ever tries to disable calibre compatibility) and leaving it at that.

Did you know that if you have already updated your device you likely already screwed yourself for the jailbreak? I think FW version needs to be less than 5.9.2 but don't listen to me, go read about it and see if you are still interested. I know I would just bother the devs with stupid questions and while KUAL interests me by potentially allowing me to better organize my device I simply use Calibre Companion as a catalog when searching for new reads. Otherwise there isn't much out there besides maybe custom screen savers. It is best to avoid jail breaking unless you are are willing to brick your new toy and want to learn more about the inner-workings of a Kindle first hand. Climbing the mountain just for the sake of the challenge, so to speak.

Kindle Developer Corner
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=150

Kindle Jailbreak Thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=292337

Good luck and hope you enjoy your Kindle as much as I have!

Last edited by Pizza_Cant_Read; 11-17-2018 at 06:14 AM.
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote