View Single Post
Old 09-03-2019, 10:10 PM   #107
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Plus... it's not as if LOTR is particularly difficult as it is. Long, sure, but it's not like it's full of heady prose and/or byzantine plotlines or anything. 12 and 13 year-olds have been ripping through the books for decades without much trouble. I see little advantage in editing and/or abridging to the point where non-readers will consider picking it up. Reading readers (yep, I said it) who enjoy fantasy are usually perfectly willing to give it a go early on. So just who who would the Moron Edition be targeted toward, and why would the Tolkien Estate be interested in catering to them?

EDIT: the question was to anyone, not just @ZodWallop, whom I quoted to mainly agree with.
Having read and enjoyed it my 13 year old son would agree that LOTR is not terribly difficult to read.

On the other hand he quit reading the Harry Potter books just after Harry Potter discovered he was a Wizard (apparently Harry Potter going to boarding school was too much of a slog to read). He is willing to consider watching the movies though.

I have a feeling that most people who find the LOTR not worth reading would also be more likely to watch the movies then to read even an adapted version.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote