Thread: Elipsa Kobo Elipsa and Word docs
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2023, 05:53 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The reMarkable is far less capable than the Elipsa. No native handwriting recognition, no word export. Basically PDFs with images. It's a PDF reader and sketch pad. I had one till a couple of weeks ago.

Reading / proofing word docs made into epubs works very well for 15,000 to 500,000 word documents. Only need Libra2 or Sage. Highlight a good portion and type in short note with onscreen text keyboard. Then import the highlights & annotations as text via Kobo Utilities and paste into a text editor window beside word/LO Writer. Make new version of doc SaveAs and increment version number suffix. Search for a piece of highlight in doc, make edit. Takes less than 1hr for 50,000 word book.
Save, do any other additions / deletions in a new Save As version.

I used to use Word & Notepad++ on Windows, then from about 2014 LO Writer (edit odt and extra Save As in docx at the end). I moved to Linux 100% in Dec 2016- Jan 2017 with Notepad++ on WINE, then replaced that with KATE (both NP++ and KATE are tabbed text editors with sessions, so you have a session for the doc, or subject with a .txt for each aspect in a tab. Increment the annotations&highlights text file version number on each proofing cycle.

The workflow really works well for larger documents. Less than 5,000 words I just proof on the PC.

The 10″ eink ereaders only needed to proof layout of PDFs exported from Word/Writer for POD (paper print). The content is proofed as epub. The final epub source in Word or Writer will also work for a Website, either HTML export from wordprocessor or from the epub (which is a zip with CSS, images, fonts, index, file list and HTML files).

The Sage is easier for notes being dramatically lighter than Elipsa. The 8″ screen is fine for that too. Hold Sage in one hand and Pen in the other. Double tap with finger to convert to visio style shapes, or math, or text or checkboxes that work in docx, inline freehand images also exported. Mostly I export plain text as it's notes about what I'm going to write, or a journal, or lists.

I had a Libra and bought the Elipsa and I couldn't see the point of a Sage, till I used the Elipsa for notes. After 2 days I ordered the Sage. Also many scanned PDF books can be read on the Sage the latest FW supports crop per document. Though if the PDF is poor images I use The GIMP to crop and convert to 16 shades, or if it has text content the K2pdfopt (Mac, Win, Linux) works well. Some image based PDFs can be sorted with K2pdfopt.

I don't know much about Boox, but Kobo integrates best of all with Calibre on Mac, Linux and Windows.

I seriously considered a Kindle Scribe for checking PDFs (300 dpi vs 227 dpi for all others), but if you want to annotate with their Sticky Note system you have to send the PDF to Amazon and download a KFX, which can mess up the appearance (very thing that's important). Likely all the others will do 300 dpi 10.x″ ereaders. Even ordinary Kindle is too dependent on Amazon servers; out of the box you have poor control of collections and none over series which is often wrong on Amazon and can't be applied to sideloaded without jailbreak.

Kobo doesn't need jailbreak or modified, and if you did want to change the default the tools are here.

Some Android based eink might work with Office 365 in Cloud. But even on 10″ decent LCD Android, all wordprocessoing, even with USB or BT keyboard is garbage. The Android OS isn't suited for multiple windows and the only Andriod editors that work sensibly are plain text. I do have an Android eink, a 7.8″ Boyue Likebook Mars (Meebook P78 is current version). Jota and a decent BT keyboard work on it. I got it for Irish Library ebook access (BorrowBox app for books and Libby for comics). I have Jota on phones and tablets too.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote