View Single Post
Old 05-26-2011, 09:58 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbees View Post
Concerning reviews, I have found those at The eBook Reader (http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/) to be very useful. The site's owner reviews ereaders as such and compares them to each other, rather than treating them as less-entertaining gadgets. The reviews are well-written and thorough, and often include videos plus lists of specs.
I just took a look there and found the review for the original Kobo and the Kobo wifi to be sadly lacking. It really doesn't mention much in terms of how ADE is on the Kobo. For example, the embedded font bug. I found that one the first time I ever loaded an eBook onto the Kobo that had an embedded font. It didn't display. And links not working was another thing I found. I found both of these bugs in less then 30 minutes of use. Just by loading a few different eBooks and seeing how they were broken. I wanted to test the Kobo and see if it had history back. So I needed an ePub with endnotes. I wanted to see how Zelda's Three Men in a Boat looked and it looked wrong because the embedded font(s) did not display.

So when are reviewers going to try to put readers through their paces instead of just reviewing the features and not the functionality? I don't care how good the hardware is, if the software is buggy, I don't want it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote