View Single Post
Old 10-15-2018, 11:46 AM   #5
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Well, it's after 2:30am and I should be headed to bed ... but a few brief thoughts.

Well, the theme suggested sci-fi and that's what we got (close enough).

I liked the idea much better than the execution. The idea that your mind/awareness might occupy a different time to your body was, I thought, quite fascinating. The drug thing was a bit iffy with regard to an explanation for it, but du Maurier was missing some of the technical possibilities that have since been explored - thinking here of the end of The Light of Other Days by Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter, where they follow genetic links into the past; or The Trigger by Arthur C. Clarke, Michael Kube-McDowell, that ends up exploring the information theories behind DNA.

Speaking of genetic links. I was expecting an explanation for why both Magnus and Dick should be tied to the same person (Roger) in the past - perhaps that the three were all related. But such an explanation was never made explicit, and I wondered if we were supposed to assume it.

I liked Vita and the kids, but felt as if they were kept out of the central story more than was realistic - presumably to stop things getting overly complicated.

Dr Powell was a problem. I had expected to discover that he had a connection to Magnus, as that would have explained him much better than the ... what? Is he just a busy-body with convenient qualifications? Far too convenient as he was, whereas there seemed no reason why he should not have had some connection with Magnus.

I liked the ending. I didn't find it overly powerful as such, but it was satisfying.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote