View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 12:17 PM   #14
afiggatt
afiggatt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What is the basis of your comparison? As I said, my PRACTICAL experience of my 4 grey-scale CyBook and my 16 grey-scale iLiad is that it makes no difference at all. What have you compared?
The Sony Reader 500 screen (4 gray levels) to the 505 screen (8). The sample photos that come with both readers are clearly improved on the 505 along with other images I loaded to both in experiments. The contrast and whiter screen improvement in the 505 may count for more than the 8 gray scales, but the details in the images are better.

Even so, the 505 with the improved Vizplex screen is lousy photo viewer, even for B&W only. The current generation EInk display works fine for text, not so much for images. I suspect the acceptance of readers based on EInk technology is going to be somewhat limited, even for B&W use, for the true mass market until we see another round of improvements in contrast (whiter background screen), >16 gray scales, faster screen changes, reduce the black "flash" effect for page changes, and lower cost. With the increased volume of sales and production with the Kindle and the Bookeen joining the show, lower costs for the EInk displays should follow - and more capital for technology development.

I still would be more interested in the Kindle if they had based it on the 8" screen. The 6" is going to be very small for reading newspaper and news magazine articles. But the price would be higher.
afiggatt is offline   Reply With Quote