View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #17870
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
This is only the second novel I've read by him. The other one was "The Magus," one that I read when in my mid-twenties. That novel, as they say, blew me away. It may be one of those novels that is more appropriate for a certain age group, such as discovering Thomas Wolfe, when at a young age.

One that I have yet to read is "The French Lieutenant's Woman," but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
I read The French Lieutenant's Woman back in the early 1970's. It was probably my favorite book I read in that decade. I still remember the beautiful last paragraph pretty much word for word. Must have struck a chord. It influenced my reading choices for years, sending me on a Thomas Hardy and existentialist binge. I then spent the 1980's reading all of Thomas Merton as an antidote, while also trying to lighten up. Ah, youth.

The Magus and The Collector were very different books, but I loved the way he wrote anything.
Loved both the Magus (can't pretend I really understood the end, though) and The Collector, but despite trying three times (!) I could never finish The French Lieutenant's Woman. Perhaps I was too much of a callow youth, more in search of horrible happenings or the eternal search for the meaning of life, rather than what I saw as a rather turgid romance story. As I say, callow youth...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote