View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #19
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Do address the original question from the other point of view, I think most good programmers would make very poor creative writers.
They would present facts clearly in short declarative statements, there would be no art to their writing at all.
Good code is clear and easy to understand.
Good writing uses a huge variety of tricks and methods to give more than the just facts contained in a sentence, but also to add colour and depth, to create a particular feeling in the mind of the reader.
I'm in two minds on that one. You're very probably right that *most* good programmers would make poor creative writers, but I'm not convinced that it's as cut and dried as you might think. Many of the best programmers I know write prose very elegantly (though of course many do not!) and the science fiction field in particular has many very successful authors with science/engineering/maths backgrounds.

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote