View Single Post
Old 04-28-2019, 09:08 PM   #67
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
No one is disputing that amazon has a walled garden, but you keep deliberately ignoring that amazon has apps for a wide variety of non-amazon devices and apple does not. Hence not just the same.
And that's because Apple allows other apps and Amazon doesn't. Apple does have iTunes on windows machines. I'm not ignoring anything, I'm stating that each company has something they are selling and are protecting that product.

Once again, Apple is a hardware company that is pushing people to develop for their hardware. Amazon is basically a content company. Both have walled gardens. Amazon wants to keep it's customers in the Amazon walled garden, thus they write apps from other platforms and don't allow other content providers on their platform. Apple wants to keep customers in the Apple walled garden, thus they permit pretty much anyone who wants to develop apps for the Apple platform to do so.

It's not exactly a difficult thing to understand. Both companies have the same goal, but sell different things, i.e. devices verses content. Right now, the only cross platform product that Apple has with a significant presence is the iTune store and that is about allowing customers who purchase iPods, iPhones and iPads to provision them on Windows pc's.

Last edited by pwalker8; 04-28-2019 at 09:12 PM.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote