View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 12:16 AM   #10
JimLL
Cynic
JimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
[LIST=1][*]Seriously consider using a tool more suited for your skillset, like Jutoh or Atlantis Word processor.
Hmmm, Referring to Atlantis I assume you're talking about hand coding HTML, because it does not do HTML via WYSIWYG. The Atlantis people told me that in so many words. Altho it can apparently convert docs to HTML, I don't know how that helps edit anything.

Quote:
You are attempting to run a marathon before you have learned to walk,
Can't disagree with that a whole lot.

Quote:
you fundamentally misunderstand what Sigil does; what an ePUB is; how it works or what you should be using before you even get to Sigil.
Well, it seemed to be the first free (I donated) thing out to do ebooks. I made epubs and converted them to mobis. I know basically that epub is essentially a zipped HTML, and that it is sort on features compared to other standards.

Quote:
You've been asked repeatedly what html editor you're using, or asked why you're not using one, and I don't think you understand that you NEED one.
I used to code HTML before it got hugely complicated. I haven't found a free WYSIWYG HTML writer.

Quote:
To put this as simply as I can: Sigil is not a Word Processing ePUB maker. It's not an authorial tool. Nor is it really a tool for amateurs who don't have the patience to learn the fundamentals.
Too much work to take the time for? There you go with the "lazy" hints.

Quote:
I strenuously recommend that you reconsider using a tool more suited for your current skill level, to achieve your current goal, rather than trying to force Sigil to adapt to you. It's obvious you are on a budget,
I've tried several. But it's really too bad that the people around Sigil actually, deliberately want to keep it only for experts. That's really, really sad, if not terribly uncommon. Lots of programmers program for other programmers, not for people.

Quote:
In the alternative, try the Calibre forum. There are a lot of people over there who shortcut by using Calibre to create ePUBs (somehow--I honestly don't know the method) from what are essentially word-processing files, I think from OO or from OO-exported html or rtf--and maybe that will give you a leg up.
I use Calibre. Altho like Sigil, it has no primer. Like Sigil it's all tech details.

Quote:
I hope something there helped you. I'm not trying to be mean, but really--you're driving yourself nuts because you don't yet know what you don't know.

Hitch
I don't know yet if it will help. And apparently I'm not as thin skinned as most, unless people start suggesting I'm lazy or stupid. Ignorant about something and stupid are very different things. (I'm totally ignorant about doing heart surgery.) Epub is a side stop for me, not the destination. You're right, I was given the wrong idea about Sigil, just as a guy at OOo forum told me the wrong way to produce HTML from a document. Someone on a completely different forum told me the best way to do it.

Last edited by JimLL; 04-10-2012 at 12:20 AM.
JimLL is offline   Reply With Quote