Thread: MobileRead June 2011 Book Club Nominations
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 04:24 PM   #65
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Thanks for you comments, Jon. Based on that I've searched some more and I've found Naked in Death by J. D. Robb listed as below:
Romance, Mysteries & Thrillers, Suspense | Thrillers / Adventures | Romance | Mystery, Mystery & Detective, Romance

So, I will hold it for now unless there are other objections to it being included in this month's nominations.

EDIT: I've put spoiler tags on my previous thoughts and have added.. We are so close to having the 10 fully nominated books, so I will put Thirteen (published as Black Man in Britian) back up with the question about fit for category and the same for Naked in Death.
Spoiler:
[Based on the below information, I am removing Thirteen (Black Man) by Richard K. Morgan from the nominations as it doesn't fit this month's genre.]

I also found the below (on Amazon) for Thirteen by Richard K. Morgan (Thirteen, published simultaneously in Britain as Black Man):
Science Fiction, Science Fiction And Fantasy

"Thirteen, published simultaneously in Britain as Black Man, tackles some difficult issues, including race and identity. The result is perhaps less compelling than some of Morgan's previous work, and the novel could have been shorter. Still, the author can hardly be accused of simply retreading familiar ground. Thirteen is a solid effort for Morgan's devotees, as well as a good read for fans of military sci-fi with a twist." and "This stellar new stand-alone from Morgan, known for his compelling future noir thrillers (Altered Carbon, etc.), raises tantalizing questions about the nature of humanity. Future governments have used genetic manipulation to create subhumans twisted to fit specialized tasks. Normal people are intrigued as well as repulsed, but they instinctively dread variation thirteen, an aggressive, ruthless throwback to a time before civilization. When a thirteen escapes from exile on Mars and apparently goes on an insane killing spree, Carl Marsalis, a soul-weary freelance thirteen hit man, is hired to help track him down. Morgan goes beyond the SF cliché of the genetically enhanced superman to examine how personality is shaped by nature and experience. Marsalis is more empathetic than the normal people around him, but they can see him only as an untrustworthy killer. At the same time, surveying corrupt, fractured normal society, the novel questions whether the thirteens are just less successful at hiding their motives. Without slowing down the headlong rush of the action, the complex, looping plot suggests that all people may be less—or more—than they seem."

Black Man (Thirteen in the US) by Richard Morgan - Fiction, Science Fiction WHSmith eBooks UK

Synopsis from B&N as a near-future science fiction.

Richard K. Morgan's Thirteen is near-future science fiction, very much in the vein of Bladerunner. When the entire crew of a transport from Mars is killed by a stowaway who turns out to be a violent superhuman from a failed government program, Carl Marsalis is given a choice: use his own heightened powers to hunt down the killer, or face a fate worse than death.

Last edited by dreams; 05-22-2011 at 05:39 PM.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote