View Single Post
Old 05-29-2023, 05:30 PM   #31
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
So you are saying the poor implementation was a larger factor in the ugly results than any deficiency in EPUB 2?
yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Does EPUB 3 improve 2 columns over using EPUB 2?
I suspect it depends on the content of the columns. I really don't know.

My aim in eBook production is to have the Wordprocessor styles do everything (they ideally map 1:1 to CSS) and also map to <Hx, <p <div <image and of course links/anchors, so that no actual edit of the epub is needed.

Occam wrote something like "Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity" (he didn't actually write even the Latin of that, but had the idea of it).

Of course purists will claim "figure" and "section" are semantically better than <p or <div combos.

Obviously epub2 missed stuff that could have easily been in it then and epub3 adds stuff that needed added. But real ebook versions of paper only need a subset. The HTML & CSS is a means to an end. The W3C should absolutely never have been involved in ebook specs.

There should be two versions of epub3.3, one a subset for real ebooks and ereaders and apps that only do ebooks, not multimedia. It's too big.

Can you yet have LTR text and RTL text in the same paragraph/line without two columns (or divs & floats simulating two columns)? You could even on DOS in 1989.

Last edited by Quoth; 05-29-2023 at 05:33 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote