View Single Post
Old 10-11-2021, 07:55 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by richstant View Post
Thanks for all the info & suggestions, I think I may have sorted it. It occurred to me that I've recently switched to using kobo uncaged, so I can transfer books wirelessly (no old-style USB ports on the new laptop). I found that if I connect by a USB cable, then the book does get converted properly into a kepub on transfer. However if I transfer wirelessly, via kobo uncaged, I only get the epub. That's despite kobo uncaged saying that it supports kepub (and is set to prefer kepub). I could have sworn I'd tested this yesterday, and I got epub under both circumstances, but I think I must have just got myself in a mess with all the different things I tried.

I'd assumed that kobo uncaged was still using the kobo touch extended plugin in order to talk to the kobo. I assume from this that it isn't? In which case I need to install the kepub output converter, and convert in calibre if I want kobo uncaged to use the kepub?
Um no. Kobo-UNCaGED does not use anything "Kobo" in calibre. The first step in the instructions for running Kobo-UNCaGED is to make sure the wireless connection is running. With that, the application on the device does a lot of the work.

But, this means that nothing from either the KoboTouch or KoboTouchExtended drivers are used. The transformation to kepub is not done, and you don't have access to the information these drivers produce. Some of this could be done by Kobo-UNCaGED itself, but, I don't know what. Telling Kobo-UNCaGED that you want kepubs means that it is will choose any kepubs in the library over the epub. If you don't have kepubs, which appears to be the case, it will take the epub. Or the first format in the list of supported formats in Kobo-UNCaGED. But, it is the first format for which calibre knows how to convert the book. As the AZW books are being converted to epub, that says you do not have the Kepub Output plugin installed.

If you want to keep using Kobo-UNCaGED and kepubs on the device, you need to install the Kepub Output plugin. Then, either convert the books to kepub yourself before sending the books to the device, or let the driver do the conversion. If you have epubs in the library, you either need to do the conversion to kepub yourself, or remove epub as a supported format in Kobo-UNCaGED.

Or you can go back to using the USB connection and the KoboTouchExtended driver.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote