View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 11:11 PM   #7
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgio130 View Post
We should try to emulate MfgTool with libusb, I think to recall you said there's a reference implementation from RockBox... I was thinking about adding support to MfgTool for the kindle 3, instead of using a different tool, and then move everything to a linux native tool... time permitting
You do not need to implement all the mfgtool features. Freescale has a smaller open source sb_downloader program in C++, but I could not get it to work. The rockbox one is a MUCH simpler C program, which I got talking to my kindle in USB downloader mode, but it is a linux program. I want a win32 program like MfgTool, except for both usb downloader and fastboot modes. Don't ask why -- I just want it...

I also have libusb-win32 installed in my WinXP VM and talking to my kindle. I had to run its inf installer and tell it to use VID/PID 1949/D0D0. I have a screenshot of its testlibusb-win.exe output that uses this driver:

As you can see, windows programs CAN talk to the kindle in fastboot mode, as the output from testlibusb-win.exe shows above. The Manufacturer and Product (Amazon Kindle) and the serial number are requested from the kindle over USB by the libusb-win32 device driver, and are displayed above.

I redacted (blacked-out) part of my pcbsn (the device serial number reported in fastboot mode).

Now, the obvious next step is to integrate this with the Kindle fastboot source code, to make a fully win32 version that does not need cygwin, and while we are at it, we should make a GUI wrapper for it too.

The short-term goal here is to have a fastboot version that runs in the same windows environment as MfgTool, so there is no need to unplug the kindle USB port which terminates fastboot mode. Currently, you really need linux and windows to coexist on one computer (one running in a VM in VirtualBox, or side-by-side using coLinux).

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-08-2012 at 11:29 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote