Thread: software update
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 05:19 PM   #7
GregS
Zealot
GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ Reader 5", Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No machine with a 6" screen handles A4 PDFs at all well. There's just no way to sensibly view an A4 document on a screen with 1/6th the area of A4. PDF was never intended to be an eBook format, and it's pretty much the worst possible format choice for an eBook.
I agree, and reflow of PDF should be present, but as a choice. It can make some PDF's impossible to read well. An A5 version I made testing with mobipocket on my computer reflowed unnecessarily. I hope Cybook supports both forms.

PS
I was thinking of PDFs designed for the smaller size rather than A4. For novels reflow is easy and best, but many non-fiction works layout can be crucial and pdf gives fine control over this.

I am looking at PDF stylesheets, conversions from XML to PDF made when desired to form-fit different uses. Ie condensed print versions for printing, condensed and imposed pages for booklet printing, various classes of layout based on different readers etc.,.

Hence the choice of reflowing PDF or keeping it virginal are an important feature, in terms of reader's future functionality is important. Mobipocket for instance reflowed several PDFs I had made for the computer in A5 when there was amble space to display it intacto.

Last edited by GregS; 11-23-2007 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Adding a PS point
GregS is offline   Reply With Quote