View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 07:47 PM   #141
Aka
Aka began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
First welcome to MobileRead.

I'm a little confused by your timing. You waited until the conflict has been corrected (0.7.5 check this thread) to sign up and voice your opinion?

Fortunately folks who were using calibre and manually editing their collections were a very small minority.
The timing is what it is... I installed an update, went to use it as usual, and my reader's library was automatically trashed. Whether or not there is a new version, this has already happened, and I figured others should be warned about it.

I can't imagine how you'd non-manually manage your collections though unless you simply don't have any? They are never automatically generated when I convert a book, so rather than browse 500+ books by name, especially when they are more like chapters of a single book, I add them to collections with the title of the book or series.

Quote:
What is amazing is the fact that I forget that calibre is only at 0.7.5 and not yet up to version 1. Calibre is a work in progress that is ever changing and this last jump in features was a big one.
That's basically why I'm not crying bloody murder for making me spend what will probably be a dozen hours before I get my library repaired and working again. It's free, and Kovid puts in unthinkable amounts of work to this project with no real warranty that I'm aware of, and I'm using Calibre because it beats Sony's software in almost everything. It is however, SHOCKING when you plug in a device as always and its functionality is decimated, so instead of just updating because there's always an update available, I'm going to have to be far more cautious now. I'd gotten into the habit of updating Calibre all the time because usually I wouldn't even see the difference, but wanted bug fixes.
Aka is offline   Reply With Quote