View Single Post
Old 04-17-2021, 06:59 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by meghane_e View Post
One quick question(not solution):
I've created a custom column, #date_added, using 'Column built from other columns' set to {timestamp}. If the timestamp changes, will the #date_added column also change?
Yes, columns built from other columns (commonly known as 'composite' columns) are composed at run time.

Quote:
Is it overkill to make a second custom column that I basically save a copy of the #date_added fields (Bulk Search/Replace copy)?
Your call. The Date/timestamp column is editable, however I believe it is used when sending books to e-reader devices, and if it changes it can effect what's on the reader - perhaps by creating duplicate books.

Quote:
I guess my plan now is:
a. Start with Library A (earliest one).
b. In Library A in Control Adding books, setup Adding Actions, 'Create new record for each duplicate format'. Research 'Rules to filter added files' to see about date comparing.
c. Copy Library B to Library A.
d. At least this way, after merging two Libraries, even if the timestamps are changed, I have the originals.
I gave up on trying using calibre's Merge feature when I was doing my initial library builds, there were too many exceptions. But there's been a lot of new features and plugins added since 2012, so if I was doing that today I might choose to go down a different path.

I add new books into an Intake library, then use the inter-library feature in the Find Duplicates plugin, if there is a potential duplicate I use the CalibreSpy to look at the existing book in the Target library and resolve it manually.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote