View Single Post
Old 08-08-2020, 10:45 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
A couple of things to consider:

Quote:
Kobo Libra H2O:
*relatively worse build quality as it is plastic
The Libra is plastic, but I don't know that it is inferior. Lots of people find the metal cold to the touch.
Quote:
*no support for audiobooks
I don't understand the fascination with using an e-ink device for audiobooks. A phone seems so much handier for that.

Quote:
Kindle Oasis:
*locked into bs Amazon ecosystem, where they can literally delete your books (see what happened to people's copies of 1984 after a publisher dispute with Amazon),
Why is Amazon's ecosystem bs? Everyone goes to that 1984 example. But that was a one off. And it was a book that was sold illegally. I don't blame Amazon for deleting those copies.

Anyway, if you want good customer service, Amazon is it. I love my Kobos, but I haven't yet had to ever interact with their customer service. From what I heard, repeatedly, it is no good. If you consider customer service as part of the ecosystem, it is no longer BS.
Quote:
*no Overdrive support (also not sure about this one)
Not sure where you live, since you don't list a location. But Kindles can borrow books through Overdrive. Not as easy as on a Kobo, but not too bad.
Quote:
*have to pay Amazon just to remove ads (seriously? on such a pricy product?)
That is tacky. The ads are Kindle's worst sin, in my opinion.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote