View Single Post
Old 08-14-2017, 11:01 AM   #30
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I think you could even argue that ePub supports manual kerning. A span with a negative right margin?

<snip kerning example>

Of course, since the font can change, I don't think I'd really try this in any ebook. But that is a limitation caused by the flexibility of ebooks, rather than by limitations in the ePub format.

Ebook flexibility (different fonts, pages sizes, font sizes, page aspect ratios) shouldn't limit design choices, like the choice to have the first letter of a chapter be a raised capital exactly centred in the page width, with the rest of the paragraph justified following the initial letter.

It does look like ePub won't let you do this. Unless someone can come up with cleverer HTML/CSS than I've managed to work out.

Grand Mouse:

That's a distinction without a difference. I'm sorry, I am really not trying to be argumentative, but as you point out, given that you can change the font face, that will never work. Kerning and leading really only work, from any standpoint, where you can control the entire environment, display-wise. Which brings us back around to fixed-layout.

Forget changing fonts--what happens when someone sizes the font? Up, or down? The kerning will be a car wreck.

Yes, the command, itself, exists. But...for what purpose, in what world? Maybe on a website, but even then, given that a website can be seen on any browser, at any size....kerning, meet car wreck.

IMHO.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote