View Single Post
Old 08-14-2017, 06:01 AM   #29
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
We do have kerning. RMDSK does do kerning.
I think you could even argue that ePub supports manual kerning. A span with a negative right margin?

<html>
<head>
<style>
.kern {
margin-right:-0.2em;
}
</style>
</head>
<body>
<h1>Plain: AV</h1>
<h1>Kerned: <span class="kern">A</span>V</h1>
</body>

Of course, since the font can change, I don't think I'd really try this in any ebook. But that is a limitation caused by the flexibility of ebooks, rather than by limitations in the ePub format.

Ebook flexibility (different fonts, pages sizes, font sizes, page aspect ratios) shouldn't limit design choices, like the choice to have the first letter of a chapter be a raised capital exactly centred in the page width, with the rest of the paragraph justified following the initial letter.

It does look like ePub won't let you do this. Unless someone can come up with cleverer HTML/CSS than I've managed to work out.

Last edited by pdurrant; 08-14-2017 at 06:07 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote