Thread: Kobo Bug thread
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2019, 12:58 PM   #1151
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinCEO View Post
I've payed my device with all good money and the minimum expectation from it is that it renders correctly a correctly formatted epub/kepub. As I can understand Kobo A1 it does not, and in my country this is a sufficient reason to request the return of the price as far as rendering mono-spaced text cannot be considered an esoteric quality (and in the specifications of the kepub format there is no "do not use mono-spaced text" clause).

I can think to patch up the firmware to obtain additional and uncommon functions, not to read a normal epub formatted with basic css.
As I pointed out elsewhere, the epub specification does not require being able to display every glyph nor does it require any fonts be installed. Given a monospaced font is not available in the standard firmware, if Kobo displayed a monospaced font by replacing every character with a not-defined glyph, they would be within the specification (unreadable but within the specification).

I've attached the suggested images from the OpenType standard for the .notdef glyph.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	notdef_glyph.png
Views:	130
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	174777  

Last edited by DNSB; 11-07-2019 at 01:52 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote