View Single Post
Old 01-09-2018, 11:56 AM   #114
Jim Chapman
Addict
Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lumia 950 Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
I have found an issue. It seems that the app, or perhaps the update process, has failed to "publish" the fact that it supports .mobi, .azw, .azw3, and .pdf, at least on my installation which was somewhat old and has been updated. As a result, it can't be set as the default reader for those formats. With "desktop" applications, like calibre, you get the option to manually navigate to an installed app in such situations, but with the "modern" apps you don't have that option. Even using the "find app on Store" option fails to list Freda as an app for .mobi (I haven't tried to other formats.
Thank you for checking this out, and reporting the issue.

Right now, I am a bit conflicted about this. If I strongly claim that Freda is able to read PDF and MOBI (e.g. by making a file-type association) then I'm going to cause irritation to people who try to use it for those book types, and find it does not work for them. But if I don't do it, then the app is somewhat less useful.

I've already picked up some bad reviews in the Store from people who don't like Freda's rendering of PDF. Which is fair enough, because it is not very good (on the other hand, it is hard to do much better, because PDF really does not expect to be reflowed to fit a small screen, so any rendering solution based on reflow is going to be a mess).

Right now, my inclination is to associate Freda with .MOBI/.AZW format, and publish that association, because I think MOBI rendering does basically work (excepting that it is slow, and right now the table of contents is broken, for some reason that I've not yet got to the bottom of). But I am minded not to associate Freda with PDF files, or make any great song and dance about the fact that Freda has some capability to show the content of PDF files. Most people who want to read a PDF document will be wanting to see content in the original layout (i.e. no reflowing) and for them, Adobe Reader or their web-browser plugin will be a better reading system.
Jim Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote