View Single Post
Old 06-15-2020, 07:00 AM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
It hasn't been updated since 2017. I doubt releasing the source code will help with maintenance (for public releases anyway).

That's why I'm very careful when updating iOS. I have an iPad for beta testing which is updated first. If everything works OK, that's when I update my other iOS devices.
If it isn't updated, then eventually, as the API's change over time, it will stop working. Apple usually does a good job of marking apps that use API's that are about to be depreciated (i.e. no longer supported). If we get to that point with Marvin, I'll just choose a different reader app to use. There are several that are currently actively being supported.

One of the big reasons that Apple started pushing developers into the subscriber business model is that it's pretty tough to make ends meet when you get $5 once per customer. There is a lot of apps out there that I like to call hobbyware, i.e. written by some developer in his or her spare time because they enjoy doing it. Shareware can have the same issue.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote