View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013, 06:57 AM   #13
ecbritz
Book Concocter
ecbritz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
To me, the cover of the famous Three Men in a Boat ePub done by Jellby is an ideal cover for an e-book. The cover is not the best part of this ePub because the name of the author (Jerome K Jerome) is missing, the standard page header appears on it and the image (the boat) seems unnaturally "cut off" at the bottom: seemingly cropped from an old picture. Might the problem perhaps be technical and lie with my Sony Reader?

What I admire is the arrangement of independent elements (the book title and the graphical detail) against a plain white background. Also, the suggestive nature of the graphical element and the "old fashioned" font which extends to the title page and the rest of the book. The genre of the book (romantic comic novel from the 19th century) is very effectively suggested by the cover in combination with the title page.

This cover looks good whether viewed in portrait or landscape display, and whether viewed in a single page or two-page display. In a two-page display, the name of the author can be seen on the title page, which compensates for the missing element on the cover.

Despite my awe at the expertise demonstrated in this ePub, I wish at least the "cut off" boat could be replaced. Some last finishing edit would make this one of my favourite epub covers. Its not "fancy", but it fits the nature and contents of Three Men in a Boat perfectly. This is what a cover should be, even if it might not sell as well as a highly eye-catching cover.
ecbritz is offline   Reply With Quote