Thread: Classic BN Reader & epub
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 11:31 AM   #16
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNB View Post
It sure has been nice to be able to move my purchased Sony eBook store books over to the Nook. Didn't expect to be able to do that, thought I was out of luck and doomed to be stuck on one platform forever. Standards based file formats may be just the thing to increase eBook uptake.
I think you are right here, and it is like DVD vs the HD-DVD/Blu-ray fiasco.

With DVD, you have one file format that everyone competes equally on as a movie publisher. Anyone paying license fees can make a device as well. The customer has things 'just work', despite the presence of DRM because everything uses the one standard.

With HD-DVD and Blu-ray, you had competing formats, studios didn't really know which to pick, and the consumer was either split or simply waited until the fervor died down and one format won. That is if you were even interested in high-resolution movies in the first place.

eBooks are currently facing the second situation. Until one format wins, eBook adoption will be limited by the fractured market.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote