View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 01:50 PM   #9
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan View Post
Probably depends on how much reading they do. Ultra casual might be OK on a cell but any serious amount needs something better than a cell. I shudder to think what serious reading will do to the battery levels on your cell!

Yup. It would be too bad to see potential buyers steered toward the exceedingly inferior experience of cell phone reading.
I do all my reading on my iPhone (one or two novels a week) while my Sony eReader gathers dust. (note to self: need to do some dusting). I like the portability of a phone and have never had any issues with the screen hurting my eyes. I've been reading on palm and winmo devices for the past ten years.

The Sony device runs rings around any backlit device for battery life-- I was getting 2 weeks+ per charge. But, my phone is always nearby and I have chargers and docks everywhere.

I think everyone needs to keep in mind that what works for you doesn't work for everyone. For me, an eInk device is an inferior experience. That doesn't diminish your experience, just confirms that it is different.

I think that if I could load the same book on my phone and Sony Reader and keep the position synced, I would use the Reader more often though.

I'm excited about kindle/mobipocket content coming to iPhone (maybe) as many of the books I want to buy are only available in protected Kindle/Mobi formats.
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote