View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmw0829 View Post
Hi everybody - so happy to have found this forum. And hoping you can advise me.

I've borrowed a Nook HD for inspection and finding it oh-so closed down. But I love it for borrowing library books as I can sideload them from my PC and use them with the Nook reader, which I like much better than the Overdrive reader.

It seems that the Nexus 7 or Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 are more open devices primarily for downloads but I cant seem to put a finger on the reading aspect, which was why I started this hunt in the first place. But I'm liking the other uses it would offer.

So, my questions are the following:

Are there downloadable readers (or built in for that matter) that provide a Nook-like experience - font adjustment, text size, margins, backgrounds, search functions and smooth, fast page turns? I found Bluefire which has a download for Android and have seen others mentioned in the forums.

As well, when I borrow library books, I download to Adobe Digital Editions and then copy the epub file from my PC to the Nook. Can the Nexus 7 or Samsung Galaxy handle this as well?

And then the expandable memory of the Samsung - I'm not a big buyer of books, movies, etc. but would be likely to download apps. I have two to three library books on a device at a time. Based on this usage, would 32 gb non-expandable be sufficient? I like the Nexus 7 better than the Samsung but the space limitation is concerning.

Many thanks in advance - and apologies for the long post.
Cathy
All 3 of the tablets are splendid machines. Very capable. Will do anything. Yes people will argue about this screen and that, many of the details, but essentially each is a great choice.
I am not certain of what you said about expandability, so I will just state it again myself.
Of the 3 systems only the Nexus is closed and doesn't have removable memory like an SD/MMC card. Google wants you to use their own very special cloud. And it is a nice cloud.

The other 2 tablets have removable memory and can also use clouds in a more limited manner.

The Nexus is a fine machine. I am getting one for a relative for Christmas. I talked about "removable memory" but the relative wanted a Nexus. I am going to pay $199 plus tax/ship for a 16GB internal memory, and if they want more memory, they will add the extra funds themselves. i.e. I will just send the money. Easier that way on every one.

I don't care how many books you have, 32GB is more than enough. Of course it does depend on the form, but usually the books I get are 1 Meg or less. That would be 32,000 books. If you got a 10 Meg book, that would be 3,200 books on your tablet. Now pictures take more room, and comics or magazines will start to eat up your memory but only after hundreds of books.

The real problem with memory is with movies.
Movies usually take about 1GB. Less for some, more for HD, BluRay type. You might fill up that memory with 5 big movies.

But the point is don't fret at all about books with 32GB worth of memory.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote